Daylight Saving Time


My dad would change the clocks before he went to bed on Saturday night. I would still be up, watching TV, as he bustled around at 8pm, getting everything ready for the next day. I remember sitting in church the next morning, smiling slightly at the people who rushed in late. They must not have a dad looking out for them the way mine did for me.

By the time I was out on my own, hundreds of miles away from my father, I had a cellphone that changed its own time. I remember the confusion when I woke up to one time on my phone and a different time on every other clock. I remember my first Spring in my first apartment, carrying my phone around as I changed the time on the oven, the DVD player, my oversized alarm clock that ensured I wouldn't miss a college class.

I changed the clocks Sunday morning, on the verge of afternoon, after I woke up. I changed them even though I had most likely been awake as we sprang forward. Still sipping my fourth Jack and Coke at 2am and suddenly ready for bed when time jumped forward to 3.


200 words

Comments