He Said // She Said


She said: Right there, that's where we met. B
ack when we could travel.

He said: What was it like?

She said: Freeing, in a way. It was nice to see other places. Imagine how other people lived.

He said: What did you do?

She said: Anything we wanted to. Some days we spent next to a lake or climbing a mountain. Sometimes we visited small towns and tried not to stick out like a sore thumb.

He said: How'd you get a sore thumb?

She said: No no, not for real. It's just an expression that means everyone knows you don't belong.

He said: That's how I feel here.

She said: Oh baby, it's not a magical cure. You're still you, wherever you go. And when you come home, sometimes it's even harder.

He said: I just think it might be fun to pretend I'm different. To pretend I'm not a sore thumb.

She said: I think we'll get our chance soon. This can't last forever.

He said: What if it does?

She said: We'll sneak away. Pick a place. Anywhere you want to go.

He said: I don't know any of these places. How will we get there?

She said: It's a map, it will show us how we can get there.

He said: Ok, there.

She said: Oh no, baby, not there. I've already been there.

He said: But I haven't.

She said: I know, but...

He said: I want to meet my daddy.

She said: He's not there, baby. That's just where we met.

He said: Where is he?

She said: I don't know.

He said: So he could be there?

She said: He could be, but it's not likely.

He said: Then that's where I want to go.

She said: Ok baby, we'll plan on that.

300 words
[prompt from The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction edited by Tara L. Masih]

Comments