Easier


I was so young when we got together. Not to imply I was innocent, just young. There was a difference, and you didn't expect it. You were more sheltered than I had ever been; you thought any woman would bend to your way. I was too independent, but you couldn't see it, and I didn't warn you. I was being me, but I wasn't ready for whoever you were being. You made me mix CDs that said you were this man, but you showed me someone else entirely.

You thought I would take it. You thought I would want you so much that I would happily field all of your curveballs. All of your Elizabeths and Lauras and Glorias. You wanted me to hit back with Stevens and Marks and Lukes but I didn't have anyone in the wings. I wasn't trying to replace you. I just wanted you. And if I couldn't have that, I would be alone.

After your divorce, you found me on social media. What a cliche. Isn't that what they all do?

You found me. Just me. And I was who you thought I was, all of those years ago. Loyal to a fault, but where had that gotten me? You wanted to pick up where we left off, bridge the gap. But I couldn't allow that to happen. I would let you in just so you wanted more, but if you wanted anything else, you'd have to make a bigger sacrifice.

I don't think you're ready for this. I don't think you want to know. But if you want to give it a try, just listen. Beneath the words, under the melody, that's all I'm asking.


282 words

Comments