Zap City


I had been to this venue to see small bands play. Friends of friends who didn't have a clear sound, trying to imitate what they heard on the radio. Different than the nights where scene kids came to support their classmates on their quest to get big and get out of here.

But tonight I had tickets and everything. A big band on the small stage. I didn't know what to expect. I almost felt like I should dress up. It felt like an event, and not just because of the boy sitting beside me.

We had only been dating for three months and I still felt nervous with him. I couldn't believe my parents let me get in the car with him, knowing he was driving us downtown. I couldn't believe he was nice enough to pick me up and drive me. Before him, every guy had been a one-off. Just meet me here, like they didn't want to be forced to spend too much time with me. Or maybe they didn't want to be seen with me.

Not him. He parked, he took my hand, and we walked towards the venue. I had the tickets in my bag. We went up to the balcony and sat in seats. I looked down at the stage, which seemed strangely larger from above. I had spent hours right in front of it, pressed against it. I had never been in the balcony, but it felt appropriate to be in a new place with the new guy.

The music sounded like it came from a dream, surreal and powerful at the same time. Everyone stayed seated in the balcony, but below I could see the crush of people against the stage. It seemed distant, part of another life that I had left behind. 

He slipped his hand into mine and I turned my thoughts to what we might be heading towards.

319 words

Comments

  1. I can't tell if this girl is a teenager or someone older. Sounds like a good date, at least, the start of one.

    Have a lovely day.

    My A-Z posts are here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment