Why Hunger?

I saw an article about a man vowing to eat a photo of Jason Segel every day until Segel ate a photo of him. At first, I laughed it off but then I started thinking about social media and obsessions. 

Social media is a little easier to analyze, though it can be an obsession as well. The story just brought to mind all of the people who ask celebrities to prom on social media, and sometimes the celebrity accepts. And that led to thoughts of people calling out celebrities and businesses online, and how you're almost forced to reply because it's so public and everyone is watching you. 

I liked the Segel never responded to this guy, but I wasn't sure how to work the social media and celebrity angle into my story. I didn't want to come off as preachy or about social media. So I focused on the obsession.

My character's obsession is just as dangerous as some of the things that happen on social media, but at least it's private... right? I liked having the news story as inspiration but not really knowing how it would inform the story. I tried to let the story grow along with the character's hunger and obsession. She figures, if you're hungry and feel like you're missing something, and then find something that starts to satisfy you, why not give it a try.

I might like to explore this one and take it longer. I've felt that way about a few other Stories in Four Parts, so maybe in a way I'm using this as a loose workshop.

Comments